Thursday, August 24, 2006

An Interview with Spencer “Davis” Lees


An Interview with Spencer “Davis” Lees
by Sally Steele
Originally Appeared in 'Rolling Stain' Magazine 14th December 1992
I’ve been tracking Spencer Lees now for 10 days. He’s an elusive character who I have found very hard to find. That’s surprising as his band, Underlife have been on tour now for 16 weeks. It’s supposed to be a happy time, a band on the verge of international success. 1990's Constant Speck album, a defining moment in Aussie rock, still rings in most of our ears. The band has been reported as in the writing phase of a new release, hesitantly titled 'misgivings'. Something, though, has gone wrong. For weeks “The hottest band in the country” have suddenly stopped touring and have refused all press coverage. Thousands of fans are disappointed. Many have demanded money back for concerts. The now infamous public brawl that Spencer Lees had with Johnny Vanguard at the ARIAS this year still bites into the record buying public’s psyche. It appears that Underlife is now a shadowy element of its former self. The band, and Lees along with them, are now holed up in a small backwater town in Tasmania, stuck in a tour with no place to go. The town is called Ulverstone, and just outside Ulverstone is a little pub where I finally track Spencer down. He invites me for a chat after I have phoned and faxed his publicity people umpteen times. Finally I get a call late Friday night saying “Come to Ulverstone”. I quickly hop on the first plane from Melbourne and after a day of driving I try to call the number of the hotel. No answer. I arrive in Ulverstone and book into a hotel. Three days later Spencer calls me and invites me “for a drink at the local”. I drive 15 minutes out of town to the “Lighthouse Hotel”. True to its name it’s a rugged, rough place on the water, overlooking rocks and a windswept beach. I find Spencer curled up with a Guinness in the corner. He calls me over and we have what I can only describe as the most incredible chat of my life. It starts out quite easily, but quickly degenerates when Lees explains to me that Johnny Vanguard has left Underlife. I am quite literally shocked. Quite apart from being a massive Underlife fan I’m unsure as to the motives. I’ve reprinted most of my interview here verbatim so that you can understand why Underlife was such an incredible entity, and why, it appears, the departure of Johnny Vanguard has left them in such an anarchistic state.

Steele: Spencer, Underlife had an amazing first few years, didn’t they?
Lees: With Underlife, our ambitions were always way out of kilter with our talent. We had a kind of chemistry between us that was much more interesting than the music we first made.
Steele: And the proposed new album, ;Misgivings'  how would you describe it?
Lees: It's a very visceral album. The songs are very direct. They're big songs, big melodies and really, some full-on guitar playing by a very frustrated man.... Johnny Vanguard is so gifted. If this is a great record … and I really think it will be, it will have a lot to do with him … however, with what’s just happened…
Steele: You mean the recording of the new work?
Spencer: No, with what’s happened….
Steele: What’s happened, Spencer? What’s happened?
Lees: Its Vanguard … Vanguard has left the band.
Steele: Johnny Vanguard, has left Underlife?
Lees: Yep, he up and went three days ago. He’s gone…
Steele: What’s the reason, do you feel, Spencer?
Lees: …. It’s hard to say, you remember that ARIA thing?
Steele: Well, it’s really hard for any of us to forget that, isn’t it?
Lees: Well, after that, Johnny was really just a shell. He couldn’t believe I’d say those things about him. We had another argument that night, it’d been on and off with us, especially over Jo Beth.
Steele: You mean Jo Beth Jo, your girlfriend?
Lees: Not any more, man. Johnny’s up and taken her.
Steele: Taken her? You mean kidnapped her?
Lees: Just about. Johnny’s played her some of that old snake charmer music that he loves to and spirited her away.
Steele: How does that make you feel, Spencer?
Lees: It’s a double loss, Jo Beth was such a rock for myself and the band. Our years together were very important. I will miss her. She tells me she’s made a decision and I respect that. But with Vanguard? That’s just…
Steele: I understand … but the loss of Johnny Vanguard must impact upon the group could you talk about it?
Lees: It’s unbelievable, man. I just can’t understand it. We were on the verge of making it big, not just here, but all around the world, and this happens … this happens.
Steele: And will the band go on now?
Lees: The band always goes on, Sally. The band always goes on. We were so young and foolish…
Spencer was nearly in tears at this point so I ended our interview. We shook hands, I snapped a quick photo and I left the hotel. Outside the light was strong and the world seemed oh so different...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home